Legal Requirements

Legal Requirements to be Married in Australia.
Civil ceremonies are marriages which are non-religious and are conducted by the celebrant in Australia. An initial interview is carried out to meet each other and to discuss your plans, ideas and the legal procedures pertaning to your marriage.

  • I will require certain information and proof of identity to lodge and complete the ‘Notice of Intended Marriage. Download the form at: ( Australian Government Attorney-General's Department website)
  • Please allow approximately 1 hour to activate the Notice of Intended Marriage. A lodgement fee is payable at this time which secures your booking
  • Please note that the Notice of Intended Marriage is valid for a period no less than one calendar month and one day prior to the wedding and no more than18 months prior to the wedding date.
  • The law requires two witnesses on your wedding day over the age of 18 years to sign the; Certificate of Marriage, the Marriage Register and the presentation Marriage Certificate.
  • A Ceremony usually takes approximately 20-45 minutes
  • I will attend to the lodgement and registration of your marriage with the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages in a professional and timely manner. I can also assist you with the application for an official marriage certificate.

As of 1st July 2014 the Attorney General's Office now allows Celebrants to accept an Australian passport, in lieu of a birth certificate, for both Australian born citizens and Australian citizens born overseas.

Documents Required Never Validly Married

Birth Certificate and/or Passport. If born in Australia, a copy obtained form the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.
Please see link.

If you were born overseas, a Birth Certificate (translated in English) or Passport will be required. If this is misplaced, you can obtain a copy from the Embassy.

If you have been married previously, you will need to provide documentation showing how the marriage was terminated. Birth Certificate; Decree Absolute (divorce papers) . If you have misplaced this document you can obtain this from the Family Court of This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
If born overseas, divorce papers; birth certificate and/or passport (translated in English)

Birth Certificate; If born overseas, birth certificate and/or passport.
A Death Certificate of your spouse. If you have misplaced this, you can obtain a copy from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.